Warm weather calls for cute dresses, over sized sunglass, sandals, bikinis, the beach and the list goes on and on.
Yet, we won’t have this gorgeous weather for long. As the Fall season is just around the corner, let’s make the most of August and celebrate summer in a very special way…with food.
Move over soups,broths and hot pastas, it’s summer. We need something fun, full of colour and refreshing.
Here is my perfect summer dinner and dessert. Try out some of these recipes and make sure you make enough food for me.
This isn’t your usual boring meal!
What’s for dinner?
Grilled Coconut Sweet Potato Kebabs
- 2 or more medium to large Garnet Yams (sweet potatoes), cleaned & cut into 1-2 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon unrefined Coconut Oil
- Salt to taste
- Unsweetened Coconut Flake
- Optional Dip: fat free Thick Greek Yogurt or Whipped Cream, sweetened to taste with your favorite natural sweetener
1.Pre-heat grill on medium setting.
2.Bring a large pot of water to boil (enough to cover sweet potato chunks).
3.Boil sweet potatoes about 8 minutes until softened, but not completely cooked through.
4.Drain sweet potatoes. Let cool. Toss with coconut oil and put on skewers.
5.Grill for about 4 minutes on each side for about 8 minutes total cook time.
6.Sprinkle unsweetened coconut flake over the top of grilled sweet potatoes. Season with more salt if desired.
Romaine and Mandarin Salad
- 1 head romaine lettuce washed and torn
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup almonds, sliced
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 10 oz tin of mandarin oranges ,drained
- 1/2 cup of canola oil
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- avocado for garnish
- Heat butter in frying pan and gently toast nuts over medium heat until golden brown. If you want, you can add a tablespoon of brown sugar and caramelize them a bit.
- Combine oil, vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, garlic, mustard and salt in a jar and shake.
- Into large bowl, put lettuce, top with green onion, mandarins, and nuts.
- Toss with dressing just before serving and put a few slices of avocado on top of each serving.
What’s for dessert?
Blackberry Ice Cream
- 2 cups fresh blackberries, rinsed
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Mix blackberries and 1/2 cup sugar in small saucepan. Bring to low boil, simmer 5 minutes to dissolve sugar and break up berries. Cool slightly.
2. Puree berry mixture in blender.
3. Press puree through fine sieve to remove seeds. Discard seeds. Set puree aside.
4. Mix egg yolk, remaining 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/2 cup half and half in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens slightly (about 5 min).
5. Whisk remaining half and half, all of cream and cinnamon and vanilla into cooked mixture.
6. Whisk in blackberry puree.
7. Cool and chill the ice cream base mixture for 1-2 hours or overnight.
8. Pour cold mixture into electric ice cream machine and process according to manufacturer’s directions
9. Serve garnished with fresh Blackberries if desired.
I hope this inspires you to try something new.
X O X O